Monday, August 8, 2011

Wedding Cupcake Taste Test

Ashley and Billy's wedding cake tasting went pretty smooth. We had chocolate with coconut frosting, vanilla with cream cheese frosting, key lime with cream cheese frosting, and champagne with champagne frosting. I sat down with Ashley, Billy, and Jake's mom and dad and talked them through each cupcake and decoration while Jake was my awesome server. They rated each cupcake and came to the following conclusion:
Chocolate and vanilla were the best, followed by key lime in a close second. Champagne was good but not as tasty as the others. It was great seeing them and it really boosted my confidence for making 300 cupcakes come September...




Now back track about four hours before Ashley and Billy walked into the door... plates were dropping, panic attacks were spouting up randomly, yelling at my brother and sister for taste testing too many cupcakes was a frequently occurring event, and I may have taken the fastest shower of my entire life topping off at 23 seconds.
Now back track 8 hours before Ashley and Billy walked into the door.... I had just woken up from my 4.5 hours of sleep to realize that Jake was right about my vanilla cupcakes and they didn't just "need to rest". My entire batch of vanilla cupcakes tasted eggy and it was not ok. For some reason vanilla has been the hardest flavor for me. I remade the batch using a recipe I made up on the spot (basically going off of my key lime recipe but subbing ingredients). Side note- they actually turned out great which probably saved me from going into cardiac arrest.
Now back track 16 hours before Ashley and Billy walked into the door... Jake and I sped to Richmond from Arlington that night. I was stressed to the point were I wasn't speaking to Jake and his loud rap music was weirdly soothing.... With in 30 seconds of walking into the door I was breaking eggs and measuring flour. I was set on baking 2 batches of cupcakes before I went to bed. The chocolate came out good but Jake made the mistake of commenting on my vanilla. He said "They are good, but a little eggy".... this would go on the list of things not to say to me at 2 am when I'm extremely stressed... I had a minor melt down and may have also told him to go to hell, get out of the kitchen, and that supportive husbands don't say things like that. Over reaction? Yes. Thankfully Jake was understanding and supported my theory that they just needed to "rest". I do think I traumatized him from using the word "eggy" ever again when describing my baking..


I made about 60 cupcakes for the tasting and planned to bring the left overs on our beach trip. This actually didn't happen due to my sister's friends getting the drunk munchies in combination with me leaving cupcakes on our counter over night... This actually turned out to be a really good thing and I have some exciting news for my next post ;)

Beach week with the fam was so relaxing and fun after a stressful 16 hours or baking....

Jake and my sister overcome with joy that I am taking their picture instead of freaking out over cupcakes...

No comments:

Post a Comment