Monday, April 11, 2011

Isomalt Coral

A few weeks ago the National Cake Show came to town. I found a Living Social deal for half off tickets and thought it might be fun to check out. I also dragged Jake to this show which I do kind of feel bad about especially after hour two of me freaking out about cool cake supplies... It's ok though, he has dragged me to a few gun and knife shows and made me go paint balling for 5 hours one Saturday. I don't care what some people say, paint balling hurts.

Anyways, so while I was at the show, I went to an Isomalt demonstration. Isomalt is basically like a stick of sugar that when melted can be made into decorations. I bought it because you can make some pretty cool coral sculptures that I thought might look nice with Ashley's beach themed cupcake display.

This is what Isomalt looks like in solid form:

I broke up about six sticks of  Isomalt and microwaved them for 15 seconds at a time stirring in between until completely melted. I then added some green gel food coloring. (The mixture should bubble at this point).

In order to make coral, I used the ice method in which I greased a large glass and filled it with ice cubes.




I poured the hot Isomalt over the ice slowly. Toward the end of the pour, I tried to make a base at the top by slowly pouring in a more concentrated spot. After the Isomalt cooled (like 20 seconds), I carefully dumped the glass upside down in a bowl. The figure below is the end result.


I thought it turned out pretty cool and doesn't melt in humidity like most sugar sculptures. You might want to note that even with a greased cup, Isomalt may still stick. You can either chip off stuck Isomalt with the end of a butter knife or dissolve with hot water.

Here are pictures of some of the cakes at the show I thought were particularly cool :)






No comments:

Post a Comment