Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week 4 Runs

On Tuesday of last week I was able to run after working semi late. One of the hardest things for me and running during the week is being flexible with my running time. I'm usually pretty good about running if I get off work on time, but if I even have to stay just 30 minutes late my running goes out the window. I know the spring will bring warmer temperatures and a later sun set which should help with this... Anyways, Jake and I live across from a high school track which is luckily lit pretty late into the evening. For safety reasons I like to stick to the track after sunset. I hit the track with my Garmin Runner and was able to run 2.5 miles at a 9:20 pace. The track helps me concentrate on my pace and work on some sprints as well since I know I'm running a set distance every lap. It's easy to get bored running in circles so sprinting half laps keeps things slightly more interesting.

Distance: 2.5
Time:  23:15
Time per mile: ~9:20

My next run that week proved to be more difficult. I was going to run on Thursday but my plans got derailed with working late and being pretty exhausted. Since Friday afternoon was the start of a long weekend and Jake and I were planning to head out to Luray, VA after work, I knew I would have to squeeze in a morning run on Friday. It was painful but I got out of bed and just did it. Not the most enjoyable early morning jog but I was glad I went through with it. I was still pretty sleepy so I forgot my Garmin run buddy..

Distance: 2 miles

Jake and I headed off to Luray that afternoon and I packed my running shoes hoping the trip wouldn't derail my long run goal for the week. However, we had so much planned I didn't get a chance to run. At first I was pretty distraught and felt like I had failed my running challenge but of course the big picture came to mind and I was ok with missing one of my runs. I was having a great time with Jake and the trip was giving us a chance to relax, spend time together, and explore Luray together. No sense in stressing over a run when we were having such a great time. Plus, we did get a good amount of exercise in by going on a 3 hour hike on Sunday in the Shenandoah mountains.


No comments:

Post a Comment